It was nerve-wracking enough when you were a 6-year-old sending a note to your crush with the words, "Will you be my boyfriend?" on it (the appropriate response: a tick in one of three checkboxes - "Yes", "No" or "Maybe") but it doesn't get any easier with age.
Nowadays you're struggling with whether to play it cool, wait for your crush to approach you, slide into their DMs or just hope they'll find you on Tinder and swipe right. Whatever the method, the wait for your crush to evolve into a relationship is often long and miserable.
These memes perfectly describe some of the awkward, hilarious and sad parts of crushing.
1. When you see your crush with someone else and all hope is lost.
2. When seeing your crush makes you go a little crazy.
3. When your friend makes it obvious your crush just walked by.
That one friend who makes it obvious when your crush passes by 😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/NCoB0OzpCc
4. When your crush is into you too.
5. When your crush doesn't even see you.
All of my Twitter crushes want other guys...not me.— Erykah (M)Badu (@C_Mbadu) February 9, 2017
All. Of. Them. pic.twitter.com/enUrdPnc8l
6. When speaking to your crush makes you sleep well at night.
This is how I will sleep tonight after receiving a text from my crush. pic.twitter.com/3MJh0B2Iuf— Thato Koma (@Thato_serotho) February 9, 2017
6. When you're single AF but your crush doesn't care.
When your crush complains about being single on social media and does not even recognise you pic.twitter.com/EvRgAcRDDJ— Call me X !!!!!!! (@KAGISO_X6) February 9, 2017
8. When your former crush looks good and you just can't handle it.
My ex crush looks so good these days and he's in all my classes pic.twitter.com/VQmD9ZjP1g— soft and delicious (@AnswerTheWalls) February 9, 2017
9. When you finally get with your crush but the chemistry fails.
Imagine having a crush on someone your whole life and they tune out to be the worst sex ever guys. pic.twitter.com/h5vPMJZk2I— Meng Mei Qi ♡ (@NdumiOfZar) February 8, 2017
10. When you had your bricks ready for your crush's girlfriend but they're happy.
My crush and his girl are happy😭😭😭😭😔 pic.twitter.com/VAIlI07kDL— Sphakamsile_♡ (@Sphakamsile_) February 8, 2017
11. When your crush wants to be your weekend special.
My crush just asked if I'm free this weekend pic.twitter.com/yo5GLNHdk2— Anathi (@Anathi_Xoxo) February 8, 2017
12. When your friend's crush is into you 👀
when the guy your friend is crushing on actually has a crush on you 😨 pic.twitter.com/07FLlx0CKR— Kally.✨ (@kae_em) February 8, 2017
13. When you meet your crush but it's bad timing. 😫
14. When crushes have left a bitter taste in your mouth.
Crushes are stupid. Don't have a crush. pic.twitter.com/ccVU2Fju76— Nets. 🌸 (@misslegoale) February 7, 2017
15. When you're confused about whether your crush is into you or not.
16. When your crush has fast fingers.
My crush and fast replies. Tshini pic.twitter.com/3DvnIdpQft— Anathi (@Anathi_Xoxo) February 7, 2017
17. When your crush forgets your birthday.
Hehbethuna. Crush yam didn't wish me happy birthday 😢😢😢. I'm clearly crush less now pic.twitter.com/Rzm3wKPWNI— Sachi (@Seesh07) February 7, 2017
18. When your crush is into a song and you know you don't know it.
Wow I don't know this song my crush is talking about but y'all kno I'm about to act like I do pic.twitter.com/rIgQiSqplT— gina (@iviwe_mnguni) February 6, 2017
19. When your girl crush wants to be your friend.
When my girl crush wants to be friends with me😍😩❤️ pic.twitter.com/23azDF4r3p— Kgothatso (@Cooty_Davhie) February 6, 2017
20. When the thirst is real and you can't hide it.
21. When your crush finally SEES you!
When your crush acknowledges your presence 😊🕺🏾 pic.twitter.com/8VxzFdwJNy— Francis Gallagher. (@Setshaba__) February 6, 2017
22. When your crush has the wrong idea about you.
My crush thinks I'm Jozi's Hugh Hefner pic.twitter.com/Twfj6NMBfT— Panache Boi (@djmzu) February 6, 2017
23. When you find yourself in the acquaintance zone and you had no idea it existed.
When you find out your 3 year long crush likes your best friend and sees you as "an acquaintance" pic.twitter.com/52B1ZvyhpG— erika (@girlsglowy) February 6, 2017
24. When your crush is so into your friend he wants your help. 😒
25. When you 'ended' things because he has a girlfriend but it didn't matter.
26. When you throw yourself into the friendzone by mistake.
Never call your crush 'chomi'— nathi fani (@nathi_fani) February 4, 2017
Look. I panicked and it just slipped out. pic.twitter.com/l7NtEgpD9W
27. When you dream of chats with your crush but have no idea when you'll see them again.
Just wanna see my crush and listen to him speak. Qha ndizophinda ndimbone phi pic.twitter.com/X38vMsjBQf— Anathi (@Anathi_Xoxo) February 4, 2017
28. When your crush doesn't respond to your DM quickly enough.
29. When someone else is crushing on your crush and it's not the first time.
You guys have a nasty habit of crushing on my crush. How original. pic.twitter.com/9UZe8d01ix— Lord Voldemort (@Ntshalie) February 11, 2017
Suggest a correction
February is the month of love. At the Huffington Post South Africa, we take a look at how South Africans are finding and holding on to love. Author Shubnum Khan tells us about how cross-border romances are made or broken, tech journalist Nafisa Akabor looks at how social media replaced your meet-cute and lifestyle editor Sarah Koopman has some advice on how to get away from that tired old dinner-and-a-movie setup. Find them all and more here, or try these.
- 23 Years Into Democracy Interracial Couples Still Face Discrimination
- For South Africans Married To Foreigners, There Are More Than The Usual Hurdles
- Is Finding Love Easier In The Digital Age?
- Ditch The Dinner Date And Charm Your Fave With Something A Little Different
- Going From Hookup To Relationship -- It's Complicated.
- Yes, I Married The Man I Met On A Dating App
- Love in the Time of a Surgical Residency Is Not Easy, And I Am Lucky To Have It
- 11 WTF Things Black Women Have Heard When Dating White People
- 9 Online Dating Fails That Might Make You Switch Your Phone To Flight Mode
- Can You Ace Our Quiz On SA Celebs' Views On Love?
- Watch: From DMs to Old School Courting: 11 Unexpected Ways To Find Love