Yesterday as part of our Modern Love series we published a story about 11 of the worst things black women have heard when they were dating white people. The resonated with our readers and since it was published women have been sending us their stories. This is what they had to say.
1. Why didn't you stick to your own kind?
That's what they taught us in apartheid. Do you really want to take us back there?
2. But you're not white, how does it work?
Do you ask heterosexual people how they make it work with people of the opposite sex?
3. Do you really believe they'll marry you?
Well, if they believe in marriage, then it's not an unbelievable concept.
4. None of his exes look like you, do you know that?
Unless I have a secret twin, none of his exes could ever look like me.
5. Oh so they've traveled? That explains it.
Lol! Yes, let's take all white people on enlightenment trips so they'll start dating black women.
6. Weren't there any good black boys left?
"I grabbed the first good boy I could find and when the lights went on - gasp - he was white. My bad."
7. Do his parents know he's with you?
Slow down there, when did our parents get involved?
February is the month of love. At the Huffington Post South Africa, we take a look at how South Africans are finding and holding on to love. Author Shubnum Khan tells us about how cross-border romances are made or broken, tech journalist Nafisa Akabor looks at how social media replaced your meet-cute and lifestyle editor Sarah Koopman has some advice on how to get away from that tired old dinner-and-a-movie setup. Find them all and more here, or try these.
- 23 Years Into Democracy Interracial Couples Still Face Discrimination
- For South Africans Married To Foreigners, There Are More Than The Usual Hurdles
- Is Finding Love Easier In The Digital Age?
- Ditch The Dinner Date And Charm Your Fave With Something A Little Different
- Going From Hookup To Relationship -- It's Complicated.
- Yes, I Married The Man I Met On A Dating App
- Love in the Time of a Surgical Residency Is Not Easy, And I Am Lucky To Have It
- 11 WTF Things Black Women Have Heard When Dating White People
- 9 Online Dating Fails That Might Make You Switch Your Phone To Flight Mode
- If You've Ever Had A Crush, You'll Get These 29 Memes and Gifs
- Can You Ace Our Quiz On SA Celebs' Views On Love?
- Watch: From DMs to Old School Courting: 11 Unexpected Ways To Find Love