In our HuffPost Yum series we share short, sharp recipe videos showing you how to make some South African favourites, plus new dishes for you to try at home. Watch the video above to see this made and see more detailed instructions below. Enjoy!
Malva pudding recipe
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 30-40 minutes
Oven temperature: 180°C
180g castor sugar
1 large egg
15ml soft butter
30ml smooth apricot jam
150g cake flour
7ml bicarbonate of soda
15ml white wine vinegar
cream or ice cream, to serve
250ml evaporated milk
1. Beat the castor sugar, egg, butter and jam together until creamy.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt together. Add to the butter mixture.
3. Add the milk and vinegar and fold everything together.
4. Pour into greased individual ovenproof dishes. (Or use one large ovenproof baking dish.) Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes or until brown and firm.
5. SAUCE Heat the ingredients together in a saucepan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
6. Once the pudding is baked, remove it from the oven and pour the sauce over it. Allow to stand for 15 minutes, then serve warm with cream or ice cream.Suggest a correction