NEWS

The Ahmed Kathrada Foundation Has Dispelled Rumours Of the Stalwart's Death

18/03/2017 12:46 SAST | Updated 18/03/2017 13:39 SAST
AHMED KATHRADA FOUNDATION
The 87-year-old had initially been admitted to hospital for dehydration, but doctors later picked up the clot, which has now been removed.

The Ahmed Kathrada Foundation sent out a statement on Saturday to diffuse rumours that the struggle stalwart had passed on. The foundation said his condition remained unchanged after he was admitted to hospital earlier this month.

"We condemn these rumours and request the public to refrain from reposting or spreading fake news or any updates that cannot be verified. We reiterate our commitment to providing regular and accurate updates about Mr Kathrada's condition both to the media and the public," said Ahmed Kathrada Foundation Director, Neeshan Balton.

The public was urged to follow the foundation's Twitter account for any updates on his condition.

The 87-year-old had initially been admitted to hospital for dehydration, but doctors later picked up a blood clot on the brain, which has now been removed.

Balton thanked the public for the various initiatives that have been organised to wish Kathrada well. "We are deeply grateful for the immense support from the public. We are thankful for the various prayer meetings, vigils and messages of support that continue pouring in."