NEWS

Third London Bridge Terror Attacker Named As Moroccan-Italian Youssef Zaghba

An Italian newspaper said he was stopped in March 2016 trying to travel to Syria via Turkey.

06/06/2017 12:51 SAST | Updated 06/06/2017 12:52 SAST

The third attacker involved in the London Bridge terror attack has been named as 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba.

Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera reports he was born in Fez in January 1995 to a Moroccan father and Italian mother.

The paper states he was stopped in March 2016 and was suspected of having tried to travel to Syria via Turkey.

Police on Monday named the other two attackers as Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane.

Butt, 27, a British citizen who was born in Pakistan, featured in a controversial Channel 4 documentary last year called "The Jihadi Next Door" and was known to the intelligence service.

Seven people were killed and 48 others were injured after the trio crashed a van into pedestrians on London Bridge before rampaging with knives in nearby Borough Market.

The UK's National Health Service said 36 people remained in hospital, with 18 in a critical condition, the BBC reported.