ENTERTAINMENT

Mischa Barton Successfully Prevents Ex From Distributing 'Revenge Porn'

06/06/2017 14:59 SAST | Updated 06/06/2017 14:59 SAST

Mischa Barton’s court battle with an ex-partner has come to an end.

Barton announced in March that she would be taking legal action against a man she dated in 2016 who allegedly offered nude images taken without the actress’ permission in exchange for payment.

In a tweet posted Monday, Barton’s attorney Lisa Bloom revealed that “The O.C.” actress was successful in preventing the dissemination of the images. Per a settlement, the former partner will also be required to stay 100 yards away from Barton at all times.

In a statement, Bloom said that the Los Angeles Superior Court will retain jurisdiction over the case, “in case we need further enforcement.”

”[Mischa] did this not just for herself, but for all women and girls,” Bloom said in a statement. “Mischa wants everyone to know that we have the right to control our own bodies and decide whether or not to have explicit photos out there for the world to see. If a woman wants to do that, fine. If she doesn’t, fine. The choice is hers and hers alone.”

In court papers, Barton alleged that her ex had filmed her while they were having sex and had taken nude photographs of her.

Barton had called the discovery of the “revenge porn” — a term that refers to intimate images distributed without permission, typically by an ex-partner — “my absolute worst fear” during an appearance on “Dr. Phil” earlier this year.

“I came forward to fight this not only for myself, but for all the women out there,” she said in a March press conference alongside Bloom. “I want to protect them from the pain and humiliation that I have had to go through.”

Also on HuffPost: