President Jacob Zuma released a statement which announced his second reshuffle for the year. The statement reads as follows:
After careful consideration, I have decided to make the following changes to the National Executive;
- Professor Hlengiwe Mkhize is the Minister of Higher Education and Training
- Ms Ayanda Dlodlo is the Minister of Home Affairs
- Ms Mmamaloko Kubayi is the Minister of Communications
- Mr David Mahlobo is the Minister of Energy
- Adv. Bongani Thomas Bongo is the Minister of State Security
- Mr Buti Manamela is the Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training
I thank the former members of the National Executive for good service in their previous portfolios.
I wish the members who are assuming new portfolios all the best in their new responsibilities.
Watch as Ferial Haffajee and Pieter du Toit give an analysis on the meaning of such an unexpected political move.