NEWS
02/02/2018 11:39 SAST | Updated 02/02/2018 11:39 SAST

50+ Hospitalised After Eating Cow That Died Of Snakebite

After consuming meat from a cow reportedly killed by a venomous snake, villagers experienced diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches and stomach cramps.

skynavin via Getty Images

More than 50 people from Mpoza village outside Tsolo in Eastern Cape were rushed to various hospitals around Mthatha on Thursday, after eating meat from a cow that had reportedly died from a snakebite.

Eastern Cape department of health spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said the patients were initially ferried to Dr Malizo Mpehle Memorial Hospital in Tsolo, where some reported that they had eaten meat from the carcass of an animal that had died after being bitten by a snake.

He said the patients experienced diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches and stomach cramps.

Among those who were ill were 16 children, eight of whom were transferred to the Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital's paediatric ward, while the others were treated at Mthatha Regional Hospital.

Kupelo said four elderly patients were also transferred to Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital for further treatment.

"Given the mass casualty nature of the incident, St Barnabas Hospital in Libode has also been put on standby to create space for additional patients who don't require tertiary or regional services," he said.

Kupelo said the department was urging communities to stop consuming meat from dead animals, as it was dangerous to do so.

News24