The Presidency confirmed on Monday that SABC board chairperson Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe has resigned.
"President Jacob Zuma has received and accepted the resignation of the Chairperson of the Board of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), Professor Mbulaheni Obert Maguvhe," a statement by the department read.
"The President has thanked Professor Maguvhe for his services during his tenure at the SABC and wished him all the best for his future endeavours."
SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago refused to comment on the matter when News24 called him.
"We do not do the firing; it's the Presidency that will shed more light on that," said Kganyago.
Maguvhe was the last remaining non-executive board member at the public broadcaster. Last week he appeared before a parliamentary inquiry looking into the board's fitness to hold office.
Maguvhe struggled to account for a number of controversial developments at the public broadcaster, including the firing of eight journalists who questioned editorial policy changes.
Despite Judge Siraj Desai ruling that Maguvhe would have to pay for the cost of a failed application to stop the hearings taking place, he said he didn't know he would have to pay.
Maguvhe, when responding to questions from the inquiry, said people who leaked information from the public broadcaster were not loyal, adding that if were it up to him, he would fire everyone and start the employee base afresh.
He previously praised embattled former chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng for doing a sterling job at the broadcaster. -- Additional reporting by News24