In our HuffPost Yum series we share short, sharp recipe videos showing you how to make some South African favourites, plus new dishes for you to try at home. Watch the video above to see it made and see more detailed instructions below. Enjoy!
Curried pilchard fishcakes recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 5 minutes
1 large potato or 2 smaller potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled
425g can of pilchards in tomato sauce, drained
10ml medium-strength curry powder
1 large egg, lightly beaten
125ml dried breadcrumbs
sunflower oil, for frying
lemon wedges, to serve
1. Mash the cooked potato.
2. Mix in the pilchards, breaking up the fish with a spoon or fork.
3. Add the curry powder and egg. Season to taste with salt.
3. Shape into patties. Coat in breadcrumbs.
4. Heat a layer of oil over a medium heat in a frying pan. Fry the fishcakes for about 3 minutes on each side until crisp and golden.
5. Serve hot or cold with lemon wedges alongside.