In our HuffPost Yum series we share short, sharp recipe videos showing you how to make some South African favourites, plus new dishes for you to try at home. Watch the video above to see how this is made and see more detailed instructions below. Enjoy!
Broccoli soup recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Baking time: 45 minutes
500g broccoli, cut into large pieces
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
1 red onion, peeled and quartered
200 ml pouring cream
1. Save a handful of the florets and put the rest in a large saucepan with the potatoes and onion. Add 1.75 litres of cold water, season with one or two teaspoons of salt and bring to the boil. Skim the surface if necessary. Lower the heat slightly and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes.
2. Add the other handful of florets 10 min before the end of this time.
3. Puree all this with a blender until it is smooth, if you find it too thick you can add some hot water.
4. Pour in half of the cream and heat through.
5. Serve immediately, pour more cream on each serving, grind some black pepper on and enjoy.