NEWS
17/03/2018 13:30 SAST | Updated 17/03/2018 13:30 SAST

Steve Hofmeyr Concert To Go Ahead: George Municipality Does U-Turn

Proceeds from the show will go to a fundraising drive by a local school.

Steve Hofmeyr on October 20, 2017 in Johannesburg.
Gallo Images
Steve Hofmeyr on October 20, 2017 in Johannesburg.

After deciding to withdraw permission for controversial singer Steve Hofmeyr to perform at one of its venues, the George municipality on Friday made an about-turn and said Hofmeyr's concert could go ahead, after his lawyers got involved.

Hofmeyr had been adamant that he would not cancel the show at the city hall, after the municipality announced on Thursday that it could not endorse his event.

The show, part of his national "Skree" ["Scream"] album-launch tour, is scheduled on Thursday, March 22.

Proceeds from the show will go towards a fundraising drive by a local school.

News24 reliably learnt that the municipality had been given until 3pm on Friday to respond to a lawyer's letter, and did so just before the deadline.

"The municipality reconsidered its decision to cancel the booking ... [by] ... the relevant school for a fundraising event on March 22, 2018, which may go ahead as planned," George municipal manager Trevor Botha said in a statement.

The municipality did not respond to a question on why it decided not to exercise its right to cancel the leasing of the venue.

Hofmeyr tweeted: "Sanity prevails in George. Thank you. Concert to go ahead."

DA Western Cape provincial leader Bonginkosi Madikizela welcomed the news.

"The municipality has revoked this decision, as it goes against the principles of freedom of association as enshrined in our Constitution," he said in a statement.

"While the DA does not support or endorse Hofmeyr's political views, it is important that we do not fall into a trap of shutting down spaces for people to interact, like the apartheid government did. In 1994, South Africa took a collective pledge that we will always be guided by the Constitution, even when our views differ."

The ANC in Western Cape had on Wednesday called on the municipality to immediately cancel the concert and "disassociate" itself from Hofmeyr in the way that other corporate sponsors had.

News24