Whether you live in a four-bedroom house, or a one-room studio, we’re all looking to maximize the space in our homes. Some of us just look a little harder ― especially when we only have a few hundred square feet to start with.
When I moved from a two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment in Chicago into a New York City studio under 300-square-feet, finding practical and trendy multipurpose furniture as well as small-space hacks became my obsession.
That’s why I’ve pulled together some of what I believe are the smartest ideas for small seating areas when you don’t have room for a couch. From floor cushions and lift-up coffee tables, to storage that doubles as a standing desk, below are 15 innovative seating area ideas for small living rooms that won’t fit a couch.
What hacks have you found to make the most of your tiny living room?
- 1A lift-top coffee tableWayfair
- 2Storage shelves that double as as standing deskJet
- 3A swivel desk chair that's stylish enough to double as extra living room seatingTarget
- 4Nesting furnitureAllModern
- 5A hideaway desk and dining tableJet
- 6A settee, for a modern sofa look with that oversized armchair feelWayfair
- 7Rolling furniture for endless possibilitiesJet
- 8Use floating shelves as end tables and side tablesCB2
- 9An ottoman that turns into a coffee table with an extra foot stoolHayneedle
- 10Modular furniture for super tight spacesBurrow
- 11Floor cushions, if you have the floor spaceUrban Outfitters
- 12Stackable extra seatingBed Bath and Beyond
- 13A storage ottoman with trays that double as a coffee tableJet
- 14A bench for added seating and storageWorld Market
- 15A plush armchair that turns into a twin-sized bedCrate and Barrel
HuffPost may receive a share from purchases made via links on this page.